Finding the best studio monitor speaker that is a fit for all musicians is a pain for every club organizer, home recording artist, and studio head. Not finding the right monitor at the venue is a pain for all musicians! Bridging this gap of need and demand is important. There are reputed brands in the market but one shouldn’t go by the brands as a benchmark. There is so much else to look out for.
This article lists out the features and specifications of the best studio monitors on the market for the buyer to pick and choose from.
5 Best Studio Monitors Ranked by Real Musicians
KRK RP5 Rokit G4 Studio Monitor
This monitor from KRK comes with an LCD visualizer on the equipment that enables you to see the equalizer in real-time. The makers emphasize that one of the key features of the product is the option for DSP-driven Active Room Tuning which is their patented, first of its kind technology.
It has 25 different standard EQ settings that allow you to tweak the settings based on the environment that the performance is to be set up in. On top of the specifications that make this monitor special and sets the industry standard, the hardware is made of Kevlar. The speakers come with a 5 inches woofer and a 1-inch tweeter. KRK has been making some of the best studio monitors for years. They are widely considered an industry standard.
- Frequency response range is between 43Hz – 40kHz
- Patented onboard technology of DSP-driven Active Room Tuning
- Bi-amp studio monitor, professional grade
- LCD visualizer present on the monitor
- Brand: KRK
- Model: Rokit 5 G4/G3
- Comes with a 5 inches woofer and a 1-inch tweeter
- Comes in colors black and white
- Professional grade 5" (bi-amp) studio monitor designed and engineered in the USA
- 5" matching woofer and 1" tweeter made with Kevlar
- Built-in efficient Class D power amp
Yamaha HS8 Studio Monitor
The HS series from Yamaha is iconic in its own right. But what makes it sustain its brand’s reputation are the innovations being made to the products on a regular basis. The HS8 is a studio monitor that has a low-resonance enclosure design that cuts off on unwanted resonance and achieves high accuracy on reproduction. It also has a presence that is not affected by being placed close to a wall and settings that allow higher frequency response ranges.
The inputs vary from balanced to unbalanced like XLR, mixers, keyboards, etc. These features are called ROOM CONTROL and HIGH TRIM.
Added to the list of innovative technologies that Yamaha has included in this product, another noise reduction technology is at play. This ensures that the vortex on either end of the port which generates air vibrations are controlled and reduced.
- Frequency response range is between 38Hz – 30kHz
- ROOM CONTROL and HIGH TRIM technology
- Bi-amp studio monitor
- Newly advanced transducers
- Brand: Yamaha
- Model: HS8
- Comes with an 8-inch cone woofer and 1-inch dome tweeter
- 38Hz - 30kHz frequency response
- 75W LF plus 45W HF bi-amp system for high-performance 120W power amplification
- 8-inch cone woofer, 1-inch dome tweeter
This studio monitor is part of the AX series from Adam Audio. The range of these monitors is balanced and versatile. One of the key factors that this product boasts is the X-ART tweeter that is part of the AX series. This is a German handmade technology piece that remains as equally detailed and crisp over time.
Its ability to reproduce bass without much compression of distortion makes the product mobile and would be able to be placed next to a wall. I think it’s a good time to highlight that it is the most sold monitor from the maker’s brand. Added to the long list of selling points to A7X’s credit, it also comes with a 2-year warranty and the maker offers full repair service for 5 years.
- Frequency response range is between 42Hz – 50kHz
- Maximum Pressure Level: 114 dB SPL
- Analog XLR and RCA inputs
- Brand: Adam Audio
- Model: A7X
- Comes with a 7-inch woofer and an X-ART tweeter
- General Size: Near-fieldSystem type: ActiveConfiguration: 2-wayDriversLow-frequency driver:...
Adam Audio A3X
Adam Audio A3X is known in the industry for its compact design and accurate sound reproduction that is not distorted by the environment or other electronics. This is possible as every driver is powered by a separate amplifier of 25W. It should be noted that A3X is able to deliver on a wide range of frequency responses and is ideal for home studios or mobile studios. A great qualifying attribute of the product is that it has a dual bass port onboard which helps extend the bass response.
- Frequency response range is between 60Hz – 50kHz
- Maximum Pressure Level: 106 dB SPL
- XLR and RCA inputs (along with 2 jacks)
- Brand: Adam Audio
- Model: A3X
- Comes with a 4.5 inches woofer and an X-ART tweeter
- Adam Audio A3X 4.5" 50W 2-Way Active Nearfield Monitor - Cinch-Cable - Power Cord - Manual - Adam...
- Number of Mid-Woofer: 1
- Mid-Woofer: Basket: Diameter: 4.5" (11.43cm)
PreSonus Eris E8 XT 8″ Near Field Studio Monitor
Eris is a series of high-quality and masterful studio monitors from PreSonus. Before the E8 XT we are to review here, the E5 XT did fairly well in the market and has only come out redefined. A key point that the makers make with this reproduction of a liked product is that the newer version has the ability to really go low. Low on the frequencies, that is. The low-frequency driver can go up to 35 Hz which brings in a clear bass, clearer than the predecessor. This is a much-liked improvement in the market. On the front of connections from the monitor, the can be easily done from an audio interface. The speakers come with different input options like a balanced XLR, balanced TRS and an unbalanced RCA.
- Frequency response range is between 35Hz – 20kHz
- Balanced XLR, TRS, and unbalanced RCA inputs
- Maximum Pressure Level: 105 dB SPL
- Brand: PreSonus
- Model: E8 XT
- Comes with an 8-inch woofer and a 1.25-inch tweeter
- 1-inch (25 mm), ultra-low-mass, silk-dome, high-frequency transducer
- Front-firing acoustic port for superior bass-frequency reproduction
- Balanced XLR / 1/4-inch and unbalanced RCA inputs
The Final Word on Studio Monitor Speakers
The above are various considerations and technological breakthroughs that make the 5 listed studio monitors the best in their class. Another consideration one could look at with these monitors is how economical all of them are. Added to this the warranty life of the monitors is also important in cases of rugged or mobile studio usage. This happens quite a lot in the industry, so if you are newly exploring your sound equipment, make sure to buy something that stands the test of time and also comes in protective packaging! We hope you liked our rundown of the best studio monitors available in 2020!