Its hard to find the best condenser mic for you without spending hours fine tuning and fiddling with these delicate tools. So we’ve identified 5 mics that musicians love and you can have confidence in.
Below we explore 5 of the best condenser mics available in the market and discuss their frequency response, sound reception, disturbance reduction and more.
Looking for a different microphone? Check out our other microphone buyer’s guides:
- Best Dynamic Microphones
- Best Microphone Stands
- Microphones 101: In-Depth Guide to Recording Studio Microphones
- How To Mic Drums: Kicks, Snares, Hi-Hats, and Toms
Top 5 Best Condenser Microphones Ranked by Real Musicians
Røde NTK Tube Condenser Microphone
This Australian designed and made product has a wide dynamic range, shock-proof internal mounting to avoid physical contact disturbances, and a uniform cardioid pick up that ensures targeted amplification of the sound you’re looking for. It comes with a detachable pop filter for greater quality during close-speech sessions. It also comes with a ten-year warranty which guarantees a long life under rugged conditions.
This is a recommended hit for vocals, guitar amplification, and most acoustic instruments. It is important that the microphone is handled with care even in rugged use. Its packaged in a case with moisture-absorbent crystals to protect the electronic elements of the mic, keeping it performing at a high quality for a long time.
- Frequency response range between 20Hz – 20kHz
- Cardioid pickup of sound source
- 10-year warranty
- Maximum Pressure Level: 158 dB SPL
- Brand: Røde
- Model: NTK
- Comes with a dust cover and detachable pop filter
- Comes with an SM6 shock mount to reduce disturbance
- Large 1 inch capsule with gold plated diaphragm
- Class A valve circuitry
- Ultra low noise; Frequency Range 20Hz - 20kHz
This microphone by Røde uses the Rycote’s Lyre system, an advanced noise reduction system that reduces external influences on the mic. Additionally, the microphone uses the cardioid polar pattern which ensures the reception of sound from a single direction.
NT1-A produces a relatively low amount of self noise, measuring only 4.5dBA. Nonetheless, keep an eye on the self noise, especially in case of studio recordings and radio broadcast recordings. Considering that this is a marvel of technology, the microphone should always be stored dry and dusted in the moisture-absorbent crystals that come with the Røde products.
- Frequency response range between 20Hz – 20kHz
- Cardioid sound pickup
- Maximum Pressure Level: 132 dB SPL
- Brand: Røde
- Model: NT1-A
- Comes with a premium shock mount from the makers
- Comes with a dust cover for the microphone
- Large diaphragm 1” gold-sputtered capsule
- Cardioid polar pattern
- Ultra-low noise, self-noise of only 5dB (A)
The reputable brand AKG developed a new model of condenser microphone that has a dynamic range of 143 dB. The brand is known for its patented innovation and their ability to produce economic alternatives for high-end models. This particular model is made in the image of the popular C414 microphone. This variant also has the technology of an inch capsule at the core. It is highly suitable for recording vocals, acoustic instruments and amplifying guitars.
The microphone comes in a polar pattern of cardioid which ensures a unidirectional sound reception. The sensitivity is considerably high and rivals the more popular microphones from Røde.
- Cardioid pickup for unidirectional sound source
- 3 years warranty
- Maximum Pressure Level: 156 dB SPL
- Brand: AKG
- Model: C214
- Comes with a pop filter
- Comes with an XLR cable for output that is 20 feet long
- Sonic Character Of The C414 Xlii For Beautifully Detailed Recording Of Lead Vocals And Solo...
- Outstanding Dynamic Range And Ultralow Noise For Close-Up Recording Of High-Output Sources Of Up To...
- Switchable 20Db Attenuator And Bass-Cut Filter For Close-Up Recording And Reduction Of Proximity...
Audio-Technica AT2035 Cardioid Condenser Microphone
This particular model from Audio-Technica has a large diaphragm which makes it a desirable condenser microphone for various applications like studio recording and live performances. It delivers a crisp sound with all details intact even with a low sound. It has a cardioid polar pattern which picks up sound from a singular source in order to mute out the other noises. The microphone suspends like a boom with 3/8″-16 threading in black.
The key feature of the microphone is the large-diaphragm as it serves the purpose of giving lush quality to sounds. Considering that this is a great piece of equipment, one must care for it as such and store it in dry and dustless places after use, typically in its case provided.
- Large-diaphragm cardioid pickup microphone
- Has switchable 80 Hz high-pass filter
- Pressure handling goes into high SPLs
- Brand: Audio-Technica
- Model: AT2035
- Comes in a pouch to protect it
- Comes with a shock-proof mount
- Comes with XLR output cables
- Large diaphragm for smooth, natural sound and low noise
- High SPL handling and wide dynamic range provide unmatched versatility
- Custom shock mount provides superior isolation
MXL 770 Cardioid Condenser Microphone
The MXL 770 provides top-notch sound quality. With a mid-range cost, the quality and performance of the microphone is renowned. It is used by vocalists, singers and speakers alike.
This brand and model competes with the inch capsule of the AKG model discussed above by having a 0.87-inch capsule. The internal noise of the device keeps the product in the market.
Its the only microphone here which uses a field-effect transistor with a balanced output. This gives the product the edge and a sound that is desired by both seasoned and new singers.
The design of the microphone is quite aesthetically pleasing too. A beatiful black wire meshed exterior with a gold-sputtered rim.
- Frequency response ranges between 30Hz – 20kHz
- Cardioid polar pattern of pickup ensuring unidirectionality
- Maximum Pressure Level: 137 dBSPL
- Uses FET preamp with balanced output
- Brand: MXL
- Model: 770
- Comes with a gold-sputtered, low-distortion diaphragm
- PROVIDES WIDE DYNAMIC RANGE AND LOW NOISE - The MXL 770 Microphone employs premium FET pre-amp and...
- REDUCES UNWANTED RUMBLES - The low-frequency roll-off minimizes the undesirable ambient room noise...
- PROVIDES SUFFICIENT NOISE ISOLATION - The cardioid polar pattern of MXL 70 picks up sounds in front...
These 5 best condenser microphones are all high quality options. Based on user experience, industry-standard guides and the testimonials of musicians, vocalists, and performers, you can’t go wrong with any of these mics. Whether your looking for a high range, full lows, reduced noise, these mics can get the job done. Happy recording!