This article is all about the best closed-back headphone models you actually need to enjoy an uninterrupted musical journey wherever you go. It’s just amazing to know how much of a difference a particular headphone design can make when it comes to sound quality. Various audiophile-grade closed-back headphone brands are often preferred in studio settings and work environments. And the reason is simple—to cut off all that unwanted noise from the world outside. But are these closed-back headphones limited to what they can actually offer? Well, with our list of the best closed-back headphones, you might find the perfect pick for all your noise-canceling and musical needs.
Want to know what makes a great headphone? Check out our headphones guide: Studio Headphones: The Ultimate Engineer and Musician’s Guide
Top 5 Best Closed-Back Headphones Ranked by Real Musicians
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Closed Back Headphones
If you’re looking for a pair of comfortable headphones designed for professional monitoring applications, then look no further than the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. These amazing around-the-ear headphones are designed to exceed the expectations and demands of those from the professional environment. The HD 280 Pro series from Sennheiser is a fusion of sturdy construction and amazing sound quality, good enough to cancel aggressive noise in your work ambiance.
Finished with a unique collapsible design with swiveling ear cups, this reliable make from Sennheiser is one of the best closed-back headphones you could ever have. If you want comfortable headphones designed to deliver quality sound along with value for every penny you invest, then Sennheiser HD 280 Pro is the perfect pick for you.
- High ambient noise reduction.
- Tough, single-sided cable for robust performance.
- Foldable and rotating earcups for space-saving travel.
- Brand: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
- Color: Black
- Weight: 285 g
- Dynamic, closed ear headphones with up to 32 dB attenuation of outside sound
- Lightweight and comfortable, ergonomic design, Cord Length 3.3 9.8 feet Coiled
- Extended frequency response and warm, natural sound reproduction
Shure SRH1540 Premium Closed-Back Headphones
For those of you who hate all that noise from the outside world, there’s a perfect pair of closed-back headphones you could swear by for a lifetime. The Shure SRH1540 closed headphones feature an extensive soundstage to deliver clear acoustics with extended highs and warm-toned bass. Designed to perfection with aluminum alloy and carbon fiber, this one-of-a-kind headphone series from Shure is a lightweight piece of noise-canceling gear you should try without a second thought.
These durable closed-back headphones also feature Alcantara ear pads for optimized sound isolation and comfort, all day long. The fabulous SRH1540 series also includes a storage case, an additional set of ear pads for convenient replacement and a dual-exit cable for uninterrupted enjoyment.
- Closed-back, circumaural design for a comfortable rest over the ears.
- Ergonomic dual-frame, padded lightweight headband for long hours of uninterrupted music.
- 40 mm neodymium drivers always deliver great acoustic performance.
- Brand: Shure SRH1540
- Headband Style: Padded
- Replaceable Ear Pads: Yes
- 40 mm neodymium drivers deliver superior acoustic performance for an expansive soundstage with...
- Closed-back, circumaural design rests comfortably over the ears and reduces background noise....
- Lightweight construction featuring aircraft-grade aluminum alloy yoke and carbon fiber cap for...
Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone
The Sony MDR7506 is one of the best closed-back headphones for sound monitoring applications. Whether you’re in your recording studio or are dealing with radio and film production activities, the MDR7506 series from Sony is what you need for high-quality sound packed with robust performance. Crafted in a rugged design in an easily foldable make, the Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone is the best choice for everyone including casual users and studio pros.
Finished in a compact design, these amazing closed-back headphones make a perfect pick for those who travel frequently. With the added comfort and absolute reduction of unwanted noise interferences, this MDR7506 series from Sony is one of the best closed-back headphones sworn by music lovers.
- Stereo Unimatch Plug for 1/4″ and 1/8″ applications.
- Gold connectors and OFC cord paving the way for reliable and steady signal connection and transmission.
- 40 mm driver unit for high-quality and precise sound reproduction.
- Brand: Sony MDR7506
- Impedance: 63 Ohms
- Weight: 8.1 oz
- Neodymium magnets and 40 millimeter drivers for powerful, detailed sound
- Closed ear design provides comfort and outstanding reduction of external noises
- 9.8 foot cord ends in gold plated plug and it is not detachable; 1/4 inch adapter included
Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Closed Back Headphones
If you’re looking for an excellent pair of monitoring closed-back headphones without dropping a bunch of cash, then the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x is what you’re looking for. The ATH-M40x are widely regarded as one of the best headphones that come with an amazing build and quality performance. The Audio-Technica ATH-M40x closed-back headphones are the best for quality monitoring and match up to the make and style of many reputed brands in the market.
With rotatable ear cups crafted to make a comfortable finish, the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x delivers sturdy performance on the go. If you want to own a great pair of closed-back headphones within a satisfactory and budget-friendly buy, then the ATH-M40x series from Audio-Technica is the best pick you could ever have.
- Designed with 40 mm drivers with rare earth magnets and copper-clad aluminum wire voice coils.
- 90-degree swiveling earcups for convenient one-ear monitoring.
- Ergonomic design for excellent sound isolation in noisy environments.
- Brand: Audio-Technica ATH-M40x
- Color: Black
- Item Weight: 236 g
- Cutting edge engineering and robust construction
- 40 millimeter drivers with rare earth magnets and copper clad aluminum wire voice coils
- Circumaural design contours around the ears for excellent sound isolation in loud environments
beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Studio Headphones
The beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO is the best pick for aspiring musicians and those looking forward to buying the best closed-back headphones in the market. These dynamic headphones from beyerdynamic are the ideal noise-canceling gear that best suit professional users who always prefer top-performing monitoring headphones. Crafted to perfection with removable ear pads in an ergonomic design, the beyerdynamic closed-back headphones make the best choice for uninterrupted music and monitoring.
- Delivers pure and high-resolution sound, making it perfect for studio recordings.
- Practical single-sided cable 3 m coiled cable for enhanced performance.
- Replaceable velour ear pads for comfortable wear.
- Brand: beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO
- Color: Grey
- Weight: 290 g
- Closed over-ear headphones, ideal for professional recording and monitoring
- Perfect for studio and stage recordings thanks to their pure, high-resolution sound
- The soft, circumaural and replaceable velour ear pads ensure high wearing comfort
Are you still looking for the best closed-back headphones? Well, there’s no more hassle with this little errand as long as you’ve finished reading our article. All the brands mentioned here are not only reliable but also the best picks that match up to the standards of your expectations. If you’re looking for stylish headphones that do a lot more than just cancel noise, then you should definitely try one of these amazing closed-back headphones.
Whether it is the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro or the MDR7506 series from Sony, every brand listed here is a promise of ultimate sophistication and durability. Being headphone enthusiasts ourselves, we recommend that you pick the best closed-back headphones that perfectly align with your needs.